Thursday, August 4, 2016

Welcome to 5C!

Dear Fifth Grade Families,
I want to first thank you for the privilege of teaching your students.  As a parent myself, I know how important a teacher is in the life of a child. I am very excited for this second year at Archway Arete.  After spending eleven years at home raising my three children I was honored to be a member of the first year staff at Arete.  For the past two years it has been evident that I could not ask to work with a more thoughtful and kind group of parents and staff.
        I started my teaching career in 2000 in the Kansas City area where I graduated with a degree in Elementary Education from Emporia State University.  I married my husband, Shawn in 2001 and we have three children, Maya, 13; Isaiah, 11; and Will, 8.  I taught fourth grade for four years and then had the opportunity to stay home with my children. After living in Overland Park, Kansas for almost twenty years, our family moved to Phoenix in 2010 and made our home in Ahwatukee.   While my children were young I practiced a different type of teaching, working as a personal trainer and group fitness instructor.  However, my love of children and education drew me back to my first calling.
  When I'm not working I stay active; running, teaching yoga, and any other type of fitness activity!  I love to read and discuss literature with my book club and we are active in our church community.  We spend lots of time carting kids to baseball, basketball, football, and dance. 
I am so honored to be a part of Great Hearts Academy and I look forward to a fruitful and passion filled year with you and your child!
                                Sincerely,

                                                                Shauna Anderson


This is my crazy crew; we spent our summer vacation in beautiful Breckenridge, Colorado!  I am longing for those cooler temps right now!  

Dear Fifth Grade Families:

      Welcome to our classroom!  My name is Jan McKernan and I am the Assistant Teacher for Mrs. Anderson’s fifth grade class.  It’s going to be a fun year full of learning and new adventures!
      A little bit about me. I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State. I married my high school sweetheart in 1995 after graduating from Syracuse University with my Master’s in Psychiatric Social Work. We moved to Arizona in 1996.  I love the warmth and sunshine of the desert!  This is my 8th year working at local schools and I am proud to have been a part of Archway Arete’s inaugural year. I spent the last 2 years in 2nd grade and am looking forward to learning new things in 5th grade.  I also coach Advanced and Beginner’s archery at Arete Prep.
     I have 2 sons, ages 16 and 14, who are both students at Arete Prep again this year.  Aidan will be in 11th grade and Evan will be in 8th grade.  We also have two pets. We have a crazy cat named Delilah and an Arizona Desert Tortoise named Frito.  As a family we enjoy riding bikes, canoeing, and watching movies.  I also really enjoy reading in my spare time and can’t wait to read wonderful classics as a class.
     I am looking forward to a great year at Archway Arete and to getting to know every student and family that is a part of our classroom community.
                                                                              Let’s have a great year!

                                                                              Mrs. McKernan

No comments:

Post a Comment